All the ways people can discover you on Instagram
Here’s a breakdown of all the ways people can find you on Instagram. We expect that ranking changes are going to impact these dramatically.
- 25 tags is the limit per post. Some new accounts with low followers are using all 25.
- Most people don’t use more than 10 tags as it can erode value and feel spammy.
- Tips on how to make it less spammy: put your top two hashtags in your post caption. Then, comment on your own post with any additional hashtags.
- Search has been dramatically updated and there are over 150 million searches per day on Instagram. If you gain a follower who has a high follower count, it increases your “search reach” on Instagram. The search results are heavily influenced by “accounts in common.”
- Username and name, both show up in search results. Make sure you have a name and that it adds informative value to your profile.
- Just like the search ranking update, the explore tab shows trending posts based on geography and posts liked by people who you follow.
Accounts you should follow
- For new users, Instagram suggests accounts you should follow.
- This is largely based on people followed by the few users that new user follows.
- Amazing comments on other posts seem to have a limited effect when it comes to others finding you.
- Other people mentioning you in their caption can be an incredible source of growth.
We help brands, businesses and individuals activate their core audience and increase presence with better sharing, analytics and timing. We are former Facebook and Instagram team members, building tools for you at AppAction.